Queen of Afrofuturism

Hey Hey!


I finally get to do a post on Janelle Monáe.



I was reading my April Edition of ELLE and they wrote about Janelle Monae. This is probably the second month they have had a little segment mentioning her influence. I was fascinated not just by Janelle but by this name they pasted alongside her name, Afrofuturism. Those of you who know about this, please continue reading- maybe I mention sometime you did not know about. For those the rest of us who basically do not know.

Afrofuturism is defined as "a literary and cultural aesthetic that combines elements of science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, Afrocentricity, and magic realism with non-Western cosmologies in order to critique not only the present-day dilemmas of people of color"

After all of that I still did not fully grasp the concept of this phenomenon then I read that it is a way for people who were removed from Africa, who I guess have a connection to the continent, to express themselves through technoculture and science fiction. This is known as African Diaspora.

Now that we comprehend it.
I wanted to view what it takes to be the Queen of Afrofuturism.

 


Note: All the futuristic perspectives


She makes me want to grab me a cute pair of brogues for myself.

Missing those socks to give her THAT MJ look.


Varsity Jacket never looked so chic.


One of thee best dressed at the Met Gala 2014.


Nothing like a good cape.





Known for being dressed in black and white, because her "personality is colourful enough". Loved for wearing a tuxedo, exploring with silhouettes, and reminding us of the 70's. This is thee face of Afrofuturism + Style Icon and I must say, "I love it!". She is thee epitome of a woman who knows who she is and where she wants to be. She embodies comfort and confidence in every outfit.
Z.







Comments

Popular Posts