Shannon 'Boody'

Hey Beautiful People!


I will not lie- A huge part of me wanted to give up on numerous aspects of my life. I wanted to drop-out of university and give up on this blog but I remember a friend just encouraging me to continue. That everything will work out eventually. This is me getting back to the things that make me happy and make me feel like I have a voice. 

Yesterday, I went back to watching Vloggers like I did when I started this journey. Shannon Boodram or Shannon Boody has been  one that I have been watching- She is raw with her feelings and is open about her views.

Here is a video about complexion, I have not watched Part II...




For me, I cannot say that I have experienced racism like face-to-face. That is NOT my struggle but this candid discussion spoke to me because I have had to deal with comments during my teenage years pertaining to my skin colour.

The first time I heard 'yellow-bone' ( another term for light skin) was when I was 14/15 years old and I remember thinking that my friend had to be a joking. However, weeks passed by and the term was gaining traction. Soon enough, I had guy friends and crushes saying that they would only be dating 'yellow-bones' which started to make me feel insecure about the skin colour that I was given ( as if weight, school and boys were not weighting heavy on my mind).

Every time I was told that I was beautiful I would think that 'not as beautiful as THAT light skinned girl over there. At some point, I remember my friends and I just disliking any girl that was lighter than us for no apparent reason and that is when I realized that my mind had been poisoned.

When I got into university, I knew that I was over this 'Light skinned vs Dark skinned' issue when a guy said, "Zee! You are actually beautiful for a dark skinned girl" and I thought to myself, "No Zee! You are just beautiful!".

If you notice on my Instagram, I do have friends that have a lighter skin complexion but that does NOT make them more beautiful than me. It just makes us BEAUTIFUL girls! I will not let what others think define my beauty or create a gap between myself and my fellow girls.


xoxo.

Comments

Popular Posts